Indian online casinos for Real Money
India Casino Guide
India is a country where various gambling laws seem to crisscross, in some cases, counter each other. This makes the entire situation something of a minefield for those who wish to bet at land-based and online casinos and enjoy other gambling opportunities. Fortunately, with a bit of research, we’ve been able to untangle this bag of snakes and lay them out straight for Indian bettors, so they know exactly what they can (and cannot) bet on in the subcontinent.
Join us as we explain the legal situation around gambling in India and showcase exactly the types of casinos and betting sites that Indians can enjoy today.
India’s Gambling Laws and Regulations
India may have gained independence from the British Empire in 1947, but it retains an old gambling law first introduced in 1867, back when the British government introduced it. The Public Gambling Act of 1867 effectively made gambling illegal (in almost all forms), and that law has been largely unchanged since. However, this national law competes with several state laws, and this can confuse Indian bettors.
For instance, the initial law is so old that there is no law regulating the online gambling industry. Furthermore, the wording of the original law (referring to houses) means that online betting establishments (being digital) don’t fall under its jurisdiction. This is, of course, a matter of interpretation.
There is also the curious case of Sikkim. This state is the only one (of nearly thirty) that has formally legalised online casino gambling. Moreover, it regulates it. Passed in 2008, the Sikkim Online Gambling (Regulation) Act is a model that several other Indian states want to copy but have thus far been unable to agree on. When it comes to land-based gambling, just Sikkim and Goa (along with Daman and Diu) have brick-and-mortar gambling venues that are legal.
Who Regulates and Licenses Indian Casino Sites?
Officially, the national gambling law prevents Indians from betting. However, as mentioned, with selective interpretation, you can get around that law when gambling online. Moreover, the Information Technology Act doesn’t mention online gambling. Effectively, while Indian businesses are not allowed to offer online gambling opportunities to Indians, there is no law preventing Indians from playing at foreign, offshore casino sites.
This is, therefore, something that many Indians choose to do. This is made even more important as there hasn’t been a single reported casino of Indians being prosecuted for gambling online at foreign sites.
In a bid to try and cut down on offshore gambling, India has asked its banks and card providers to cut out gambling-related transactions. This is deemed favourable to blacklisting sites. However, it hasn’t proven overly effective, as other payment methods have sprung up that allow Indian players to move money to gambling sites (and back again) without much trouble.
Of course, because online gambling isn’t regulated in the country, there are no licensing or regulatory bodies. This means that any online casino an Indian chooses to join will be licensed and regulated in another country. For this reason, it is important that any site you choose to play at is adequately licensed, fair, and secure. The types of casinos that feature here have won our seal of approval and meet those requirements.
India’s Most Popular Gambling Games
Indian bettors tend to favour traditional table games over slots and modern mobile options. For instance, baccarat, blackjack, and roulette are popular Western table games favoured by nationals. Indian favourites include Andar Bahar, Indian Flush, Indian Rummy, and Teen Patti, and many of these can be found at Indian betting sites in both live dealer and RNG (random number generator) format. Slots can be found at India-focused casinos, and there’s no shortage of titles out there with India-friendly themes. They just aren’t as popular as table games.
Indians also love to wager on sports. There are plenty of India-centric online sportsbooks out there (again, not based in the country) which cater to India’s immense population. Cricket betting is so popular that some sites have dedicated themselves to effectively being “cricket books”.
While there are no mainstream software providers based in India, the Asian country does have one or two homegrown businesses that develop online casino games. These are commonly found at India-focused casino sites and seldom appear in worldwide and Western gambling domains of any significance.
Who Can Play?
Indian casinos are (perhaps unsurprisingly) not based in India, so seemingly anyone is invited to sign up and play at those betting sites. Moreover, most are international casinos, meaning that they accept Indian rupees as just one of many different currencies. Some sites are more dedicated than others, offering Hindi (sometimes even Tamil) as languages and offering support directly to Indian players. However, for the most part, these settings can be adjusted, and this can be advantageous for Indians (using the USD currency, for instance) to make their activities more international. In short, you don’t have to be Indian or, indeed, based in India to play at Indian online casinos.
Online Casino Payment Options
Online casinos in India offer various payment methods to cater to the preferences of Indian players. Here are some popular payment methods exclusive to players in India, categorized into different types:
- RuPay: RuPay is an Indian payment card network, similar to Visa or MasterCard. It offers both credit and debit cards and is widely accepted across online casinos in India. It is a secure and convenient option for Indian players.
- Visa/MasterCard: While not exclusive to India, many Indian players prefer using Visa or MasterCard credit/debit cards for online casino transactions. These cards are issued by various banks in India and are globally accepted.
- Paytm: Paytm is a widely used mobile wallet in India. Many online casinos accept Paytm for deposits and withdrawals due to its convenience, speed, and security.
- PhonePe: PhonePe is another popular mobile wallet in India that offers instant transactions. Indian players can use this payment method for depositing and withdrawing funds at online casinos.
- MobiKwik: MobiKwik is an Indian mobile wallet and digital payment platform that allows users to make quick and secure transactions at online casinos.
UPI (Unified Payments Interface):
- UPI is a real-time interbank payment system in India that facilitates instant, round-the-clock transfers. Many online casinos accept UPI as a payment method, allowing Indian players to use apps like BHIM, Google Pay, and PhonePe for seamless transactions.
- IMPS (Immediate Payment Service): IMPS is a real-time interbank electronic funds transfer service in India. Indian players can use this payment method to transfer funds directly between banks for online casino transactions.
- NEFT (National Electronic Funds Transfer): NEFT is a nation-wide payment system that facilitates one-to-one funds transfer. Many online casinos accept NEFT for deposits and withdrawals in India.
- Bitcoin: Bitcoin is a popular cryptocurrency that some online casinos accept for deposits and withdrawals in India. It offers anonymity, security, and relatively fast transaction times.
- Ethereum: Ethereum is another cryptocurrency that Indian players can use at select online casinos. It offers similar benefits as Bitcoin, such as security and anonymity.
- AstroPay Card: AstroPay Card is a prepaid virtual card that Indian players can use for making deposits at online casinos. It offers a secure and anonymous way to fund a casino account without sharing personal or financial information.
These payment methods are widely available and not restricted for Indian players, making them ideal for use at online casinos. However, players should always check the specific payment options offered by a particular casino, as the availability of these methods may vary.
India has a growing online gambling industry with many players seeking answers to their questions and concerns. In this FAQ section, we aim to address the top 10 most common questions related to online gambling in India, ensuring that players have the necessary information to make informed decisions. Let’s dive into these frequently asked questions and their answers.
1. Is online gambling legal in India?
Online gambling laws in India are complex and vary between states. While there is no specific federal law that prohibits online gambling, the Public Gambling Act of 1867 prohibits operating and visiting gambling houses. However, this law is outdated and doesn’t directly address online gambling. Some states have adopted their own legislation, so it’s essential to check the local regulations in your area. To learn more about licensing and regulation, visit our Licensing and Regulation guide.
2. How do I deposit money at an online casino in India?
Depositing money at an online casino in India can be done using various methods, such as credit/debit cards, e-wallets, bank transfers, and cryptocurrencies. To find more information about the different deposit options and how to use them, check our Depositing at Online Casinos guide.
3. How do I withdraw my winnings from an online casino in India?
Withdrawing your winnings from an online casino in India is usually done through the same method you used for depositing. Some popular withdrawal options include e-wallets, bank transfers, and cryptocurrencies. For more information about the withdrawal process and what to expect, visit our Withdrawing at Online Casinos guide.
4. What are the most popular online casino games in India?
Online casino games that are popular in India include slots, roulette, blackjack, baccarat, and live dealer games. Indian players also enjoy traditional games like Andar Bahar and Teen Patti. To learn more about these games and their rules, visit our Online Casino Games page.
5. Are online casino bonuses available for Indian players?
Yes, online casino bonuses are available for Indian players. These bonuses can range from welcome bonuses and deposit bonuses to free spins and cashback offers. To learn more about the types of bonuses and how to make the most of them, check our Bonuses and Loyalty Programs guide.
6. Is it safe to play at online casinos in India?
It is safe to play at online casinos in India as long as you choose a reputable and licensed casino. Look for casinos with strong security measures, such as SSL encryption and proper licensing from a respected authority. To learn more about safety and security in online gambling, visit our Safety and Security guide.
7. Can I play online casino games on my mobile device in India?
Yes, you can play online casino games on your mobile device in India. Most online casinos offer mobile-friendly websites or dedicated mobile apps that allow players to access their favorite games on the go. To learn more about mobile gaming and how to get started, check out our Mobile Gaming guide.
8. Are online casinos in India fair and random?
Reputable online casinos use Random Number Generators (RNGs) to ensure fair and random gameplay. These RNGs are regularly tested and certified by independent organizations to guarantee their integrity. To learn more about how casinos ensure fairness, visit our Software and Technology guide.
9. How can I get help with problem gambling in India?
If you or someone you know is struggling with problem gambling in India, there are resources available to help. You can find support through self-exclusion programs, therapy, and support groups. For more information about problem gambling and available resources, visit our Problem Gambling guide.
10. What are some tips for responsible gambling in India?
Some tips for responsible gambling in India include setting a budget and time limits, never chasing losses, playing for fun, and knowing when to stop. Additionally, educating yourself about gambling and the risks involved can help you make informed decisions. For more tips and strategies, visit our Responsible Gambling Principles guide.
Online gambling in India can be an enjoyable and rewarding experience when approached responsibly and with the right knowledge. By familiarizing yourself with the various aspects of online gambling, including legalities, payment methods, game selection, and responsible gambling practices, you can make the most of your gaming experience. Remember to stay up to date with the latest information and use the resources provided by Real.Casino to ensure a safe and enjoyable time in the world of online casinos.